So as many of you may know, I now work of the University of Alaska Fairbanks- Geophysical Institute as a Research Technician. That is a fancy name for a person who gets to do research on glaciers. I was up on the Mendenhall Glacier last week for some training and field work. Here are some select photographs. 
In the photo above we are warming our hands while someone else (not in the photograph) is using the steam drill to drill a hole in the ice. The steam running through the pipe is a great way to warm your hands.
Our camp on the Glacier.
Looking up the glacier from our camp.
In the photo above we set a rope to rappel down a steep ridge that we had to cross traveling on the glacier.
That's pretty cool to be camping on a glacier (no pun intended). I hope you are enjoying the new job- it seems right up your alley!
ReplyDelete