Friday, January 14, 2011

Breadline Bluff Trail on Friday Jan 14, 2011

We thought we should finally take after the Womble's are start a blog so that everyone can follow our adventures here in Alaska. This is new to both of us so bear with us as we figure out how to make this all work. 

First off here are some pictures from Wednesday when we went out to the Glacier to go XC skiing. Scenery was beautiful but was too windy to get in a good ski. 

 The groomed ski track is on the left of the photo. There is an ice crust over the rest of the snow.
 Mendenhall Lake
Mt. McGinnis

Barley on the ice.

XC skiing at the glacier. 

Today we went for a hike on the Breadline Bluff Trail just down the road from our house. The weather is nice but a cold day in SE. The Taku winds are still affecting the areas with  temps right around -6 F and winds 30-40 mph with guts to 80 mph (wind chills at -35). The Taku winds are a result of a low pressure system in BC. No clouds in days but warmer temps are forecasted for the weekend. Here are some pictures from our hike. 

 The view into Lynn Canal from the Breadline Bluff Trail. 

All bundled up for the cold.

Walking along the trail.

 Still winter here. It is almost 1:30 pm and the sun is starting to set behind the Chilkat Mountains

 View of the Chilkats from the beach.



 The forecast calls for heavy freezing spray and gale force winds.

 Jackie down on the beach. 

 Jackie and Barley enjoying the view.

Here is an old growth Sitka Spruce we passed on our way back to the car. Large trees!

5 comments:

  1. This is going to be great to follow along on your adventures. I recognize the landscape from the hike that I took on the Breadline in August.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All I can say is... What? Sunshine? Isn't it supposed to be DARK in Alaska? Oh, OK, I see, you had the entire day off! Sweet! Great photo's and certainly a nice time to enjoy the outdoors. Summer will be a little better, but as Alaskan's, take what ewe git! (Pa Pa Ebes)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We want that tree for firewood. Let me know if it goes down and needs some cutting and hauling away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the Juneau views. They are as amazing as we remember them. It's a very special place to live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blog looks good, and your pictures look even better! I know I keep saying this, but I can't wait until we're able to visit.

    ReplyDelete