Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mendenhall Glacier Hike

The weather has changed now in Juneau. The winds have died down and the snow has started falling. Last night the forecast called for 5-10" of snow. I would say we got close to 16" of snow. The picture below is our Weber grill when we went to bed last night.  Before this storm there was no snow on the grill or on the ground around the grill. 


Yesterday we went for a walk on the Steep Creek trails at the Mendenhall Glacier. Here are some pictures.

 Walking along the Steep Creek trail.



 Barley playing in the snow. 


 Barley found out the hard way what happens when you walk under a spruce and bump the branches.



Jackie and Barley playing in the snow. 


View of the Glacier from the edge of Mendenhall Lake. 


The visitors center.


The sun!


Walking back to the car. 

3 comments:

  1. Haha- I love the picture of Barley post-whitewash! And the snow on the trees is very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. more snow while you were hiking? anything significant? when are you going to get out shred some powder in your new get-up? (I'm so cool with my skiers lingo).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering why you guys don't have snowshoes on... What, do you live in a tropical rain forest or what? Are the bears in hibernation now?

    ReplyDelete